Friday, April 8, 2011

Settling in...

Fiona had her first pediatrician appointment yesterday, and it went quite well. At discharge from the hospital on Monday she weighed 5lbs 9oz, and she weighed in at 5lbs 14.5oz at the doctor's office yesterday. Our little piglet is almost 6lbs already!!!! She measured 18.5 inches in length. She's getting so big I can hardly believe it. (Meanwhile, everyone else in the world thinks she's miniscule, and a boy, apparently, but I WILL NOT start dressing her all in pink and  constantly put twenty bows in her hair... I digress...) I also cannot believe that she is nearly a month old. It seems so crazy since we've only had her home for less than a week now!!

She's adjusting well to being home. Brady is still her little guard dog. Any time either Dave or I check on her in her bassinet, he RACES over and looks in on her as well. He also sits under her swing when she's in there, and still does a bit of crying when she really gets to fussing. It's pretty cute.

The pediatrician told us to get her off the hospital scheduled feedings (at 10,1,4,7, repeat) and start feeding her on demand. We started that yesterday afternoon. I think it's more of an adjustment for us!! (Because we now have to learn to decipher her different cries,but that's all part of parenthood) She did well last night, sleeping for about 3.5-4 hrs between feedings, and we're quite happy with that.

We are also going to enroll in the Alliance program for Infants and Toddlers/Early Intervention at the suggestion of both the NICU nurses and our pediatrician.  They will assist us with anything we need with her being a preemie and help us to better understand the developmental progress we can expect to see.  It can be a little tough to decipher those with a preemie.  I don't really anticipate her having a ton of developmental delays, but one never can tell.  We are doing tummy time with her when she is alert and awake daily, and I'm not gonna lie, I think sometimes that she has freakish infant strength.  She can already lift her head when she's on her stomach.  She's not holding it up for very long, but I was surprised she could lift it!!  I'm also fairly certain that she could beat me in an arm wrestling match.  She's a tough cookie. 

All in all, we're really enjoying having her home and spending this time together as a family.

Thanks again for all of your love for our little girl!!

1 comment:

  1. I am ecstatic that Fiona is home and everything is going well!! I know y'all are enjoying family time! Love you all lots! Give Fiona kisses from her auntie!! :)

    ReplyDelete